Reach & Sit vs. U2D3?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hiya!Just a quickie - apart from the obvious - ie what the hips are doing - what else is there to distinguish the moves?Reach and Sit - the arms are reaching, contracting in the R lats.U2D3 - arms are stationary - so no lat contraction then?Is the hip twisting up the same with both moves?Any other suggestions for differentiation?Thanks so much!:):)

Anonymous

Yes, to me the arms are the difference that I catch most easily when I'm following. The music is also supposed to work as a cue (U2D3 preferably being used where it suits the music best), but frankly, I haven't used U2D3 all that much yet, as my musical choices are often rather some kind of world music and less traditional ATS(R) music. :-[The hips are similar, I think, but in Reach and Sit they are more "energetic" while in U2D3 they are working their way up in two steps, so to speak.

Anonymous

For R&S, you'll want to cue it on the “and” with the “sit” first, before going into the “reach”.For U2D3, your posture will be just slightly behind center, showcasing the hip work.  Plus, the arms are just framing at shoulder level, rather than moving from neutral to right.

Anonymous

For R&S, you'll want to cue it on the "and" with the "sit" first, before going into the "reach".For U2D3, your posture will be just slightly behind center, showcasing the hip work.  Plus, the arms are just framing at shoulder level, rather than moving from neutral to right.

Sandi, so on R&S are you saying to cue on "3 and" of the preceding measure by starting with sit and arms to right, then going to reach with arms at neutral on 1 of the following measure?

Anonymous

No, on the “4 and” (or “2 and”, depending on the count of your move) is where you cue.  The “sit” is with arms at neutral.  The “reach” is with arms to the right and lifted.  So, say you're doing Egyptian.  On the "4" I would plant on my left flat foot, then lower my arms to neutral on the "and" so I can "reach" right on the "one".  Or, if I'm in Arabic, I would drop flat on my left on "2" and do the same thing with the arms as just stated.The reach has to come from the neutral position first.  If you went into R&S from an upward arm movement, right into the "reach" I would mistake it as a Turkish Shimmy.Does that make sense?  Here's a video.  Look at 2:12 for Marsha's transition from Arabic to R&S.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yw5R10x_-Q

Anonymous

Hi SandiThanks so much - yes it does make sense and you can really see it clearly from the video too. Something to really work on - I'm glad I asked the question! :):)

Anonymous

Got it.  Thanks!

Anonymous

Ah, now I got it! 8)Wow, I had never noticed that detail before ...

Anonymous

It's kind of mind-blowing when you start realize how much happens on the 'and'.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.