renting studio space – best practices for introductions?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello –The studio from which I've rented space for the last three years closed two weeks ago, pretty abruptly. I've been trying to find a new space to rent, and so far my email inquiries aren't getting any responses.Those of you who've had to search for spaces to rent, do you find that one method of introduction has gotten you better results? For example:- showing up when they're open, with cards/postcards (I'm very limited by my day job - only could stop in on weekdays at 7 pm or later, or on weekends)- phone calls (I have only gotten answering machines so far, and haven't left messages, because I'd rather send an email with links to my website, a performance vid, etc., but maybe I'm missing the boat on the phone calls?)- snail mail packets, with a letter of introduction/inquiry and a press-type packet- email letter of introduction/inquiry with description/links/etc.And then follow up - phone, email, stop back in?What has worked for you?I was really lucky because I already had a relationship with the studio owner of this now closed space. I had been a client at her fitness studio, and my former ATS teacher had rented space from her. I'm really having trouble getting people's attention now. I know part of it may be the time of year, over which I had no control, but I feel like I must be doing something wrong. I'm trying fitness studios, dance studios, churches with rentable undercroft spaces...I just want to get back into the classroom before people lose interest.Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Anonymous

Hey,When I moved to MN about 6 years ago, I began the search for multiple studios where I could hold classes.  I emailed, called and went by in person.  Can you look on line and see which studios promote rental space first to narrow it down?  You have probably already done that.  Then, I do think it is a good idea to find the name of the owner or business manager and ask to speak to them directly.  If that doesn't work, then stopping by with materials is a good idea.  Just make sure not to presume the person will be available to speak with you when you go by.Hope that helps!

Anonymous

Thanks, Terri! Unfortunately, I haven't found a single place that promotes studio rental. That doesn't seem to be 'talked about' here, possibly because the city's big landlords, from whom most of those studios rent, are really controlling re: what they see as subletting.Luckily, most places here are so small that it's very obvious to whom I should speak. I've got a spreadsheet going now. I am dancing at an all-day street fair in town this weekend, and know that many of them have booths there, promoting their studios. I'm trying to put together a little packet so I can introduce myself briefly (or re-introduce myself, as I've met some of them in the past), give them something to look at later, and not monopolize their time at the fair. Maybe I'll add a piece of chocolate or a cookie to my packet. Those fairs can be grueling.Then I'll resume my emailing/calling. Dropping in will have to wait till October, because I'll be away the next two weekends, but then I'll start a followup blitz.Hopefully the ones who attend the festival will be so wowed by my dance partner and me that they'll beg to rent to us. 😉Thanks for the advice, Terri!

Anonymous

I just had another thought.  I have rented space from yoga and gymnastics studios before.  I have also rented from schools.  Just some other potential places that I didn't think of before.

Anonymous

no answers, but I'll just share our frustrations here in a smallish west Texas city….the 2 dance studios here have kind of turned up their noses at us and I think it's a combination of they don't know who we are AND. truly, some snobbishness against “belly dance” (one is associated with the local ballet troupe, and one is a children's dance studio.  Neither seems to need or desire our patronage)  The yoga, tai chi, and fitness studios are booked on weekday nights after work, the local skating rink rents for about 4 times our budget.  We haven't looked at churches or VFW halls, because they don't have mirrors, which we'd really like.  One avenue we have decided to pursue is martial arts studios - hoping to find one that's not busy on Wednesday evenings (our time slot).  Our current studio is at an artists' enclave sort of spot, which rents studios.  It's a great creative environment, but the studio itself is sadly lacking as dance space.  Good luck!  If you figure out the secret, let me know

Anonymous

Cynthia,Our troupe bounced around a lot initially.  Studios in our area are mostly geared toward children.  Try your local Parks and Recreation department.  They often offer classes on a regular basis.  We have found being affiliated with the Parks and Recreation department opens doors for us at local festivals and makes it less "scary" for someone new or unfamiliar with bellydance to try it!  We also get free advertisement etc.  Hope this helps!

Anonymous

You could try some martial arts studios. You could also find a place that you visualize being a studio and rent it with another troupe or troupe member that also wants to teach. It could be your own little place, with an open schedule for teaching.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Business’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.