Should I teach old school/new style separately?

This topic contains 29 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Janet Hanseth Janet Hanseth 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Janet Hanseth
    Janet Hanseth
    Keymaster

Originally posted by Katarina on tribe.net.I have read in earlier threads that many teach the ASWAT and TSWAT with fades and circles and everything in second level classes. Since there is now a line drawn between old school (DVD vol 1-4) and new style (vol 7, 8 plus local movements) I thought that I should teach all the old scool movements first, before moving on to new style, which has made me save all the combos as well as single bump halfturns etc. until later. What are your thoughts on that? Is that a good thing or just a silly idea?

Anonymous

Originally posted by Carrie on tribe.net.I dont think its a silly idea, I just dont think its all that necessary. br/br/I make life easy on myself by following the FCBD Level 1 and 2 format. Although, on week 2 of Level 2- I only teach Turkish Shimmy with 1/4 turn and 1/2 turn. I do not teach the TSWAAT because I dont feel like Im advanced enough as a teacher to fit it all in. But thats my problem.br/I also do not teach single bump 1/2 turns in level 2. Again, my preference and what Ive noticed does and doesnt work for my student base.br/br/I think you just have to see what works for your students. I never even mention what is old school and what is new school. I just dont think any of it will matter much to them until they are at least into level 3, and have a better understanding of music, changes, what moves go better with what songs etc. But again, I do what works for my competency as a teacher and what Ive noticed does and doesnt work for my students.br/br/;-)

Anonymous

Originally posted by Jennifer on tribe.net.Carrie, I follow the same schedule as you - FCBDs Level One and Two, but I leave out TSWAAT and Single Bump Half Turns. (I to TS 1/4 and 1/2 turns, and single bump flock of birds turn).br/br/I also dont mention about old school/new school for the same reasons - I feel like my level 1 and 2 students dont have enough context for that information to make sense yet.

Anonymous

Originally posted by rhiannyn on tribe.net.ditto with Carrie and Jenn... on both points.br/my students are still in the process of undoing bad habits [by their own admission], and previous styles of dance.... they are already overwhelmed trying to keep it all straight, so we are just sticking with Level 1, and we added the first Lesson of Level 2.... and now just concentrating on polishing those moves and a variety of ways to put them together. well move on when they are ready.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Leslie on tribe.net.I try to stick to basics, old school pretty strictly, in my level 1/2 and 2/3 classes as student skills allow. I have had to move zil practice to level 2, spins are going to have to be level 3, for example. The only exception is when we are gearing up for a performance, and I introduce two or three variations just for us, just for a particular song or rhythm, and I explain carefully that it is a variation that other dancers of ATS wont know.br/br/Since I dance with ATS groups from the south (thank you, Laurie, for bringing us together) we communicate about old school, but see new school only in isolated troupe moves in their performances or when they are dancing together and all members know the variations. We do show and tell, and share/borrow/create but in class, sister studio status, its pretty rigid. br/br/We all have our favorite moves that we try to push a little early; the more difficult ones we postpone, yes? I think its up to us as teachers to see what we think our students can handle. I use the Level 1, 2, 3 lists as guidelines, but find I agree that we can be free to rearrange the sequence.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Sandi on tribe.net.In my opinion, the Classic & Modern ATS labels only apply in situations where you might dance with someone youve never danced with before, like at a hafla or a festival. It gives you an idea of what moves you can and cant use, so you can both communicate smoothly.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Valizan on tribe.net.I agree with Sandi here.br/br/I dont mention any of this to my students at all. I dont see any reason to mention it. If they are really into their ATS, theyll find out later on down the line when they study it in depth. br/br/I want my students to be prepared to dance with any other ATS dancer. Self-labelling is self-limiting. Ugh, no. Ill teach all of it and they can decide what they want to cue or not cue. At least they should always be able to follow.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Lucy on tribe.net.Same here on both points...

Anonymous

Originally posted by Katarina on tribe.net.Thankyou for your answers. I realize there are no straight answers to these questions, Im just curious as to how you think about it. br/I see what you are saying, that I need to take into consideration the skills of my students as well as my own confidence in the moves. There are questions about all kinds of moves and variations that the students see on youtube, so I need I have had to adress the old school/ new school/ troupe choreography issue to answer them. br/br/I find it confusing that a great part of the movements taught in GS are labeled new school and need to wrap my head around that concept and how to relate to it in my teaching. The ASWAT, TSWAT, shimmy/bump combination as well as single bump halfturns are really just combinations of the old school movements (did I leave any out?) whereas ghawazee, sunanda, waterpot etc. introduces new movements, right? Perhaps I could teach the former together with the basic steps on levels 1 and2, whereas I put the latter aside for later? Since the moves in vol.7 and 8 are taught in GS, all studios should know them as well but they are still labeled new school. br/br/To me, the really important distinction when it comes to dancing with others is between the GS-steps and steps that are locally invented. I personally dont feel any need to expand the movement vocabulary for quite a while, though.br/

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.I find it easiest to just follow the format that the FC studio uses. Dont overthink it, or you can think yourself right into paralysis. a href=http://www.fcbd.com/instruction/format.shtml title=www.fcbd.com/instruction/format.shtmlwww.fcbd.com/instruction/format.shtml/a

Anonymous

Originally posted by Valizan on tribe.net.Interesting. br/br/When I teach this stuff, I dont give any consideration to old school/new school. I put moves in levels according to their difficulty. I have my classes broken into four levels. The first level is all the ATS basics that are totally necessary. The basic moves in the families of moves (Egyptian, Arabic, Pivot Bump, Turkish Shimmy), Zilling, Formations and Floreos. That is seven weeks right there. (I dont remember what I have the other three weeks... one is a review though)br/br/The next level up ramps up from the basic level, so we add on Arabic variations, and I add in Doubleback because it is not a beginner move, to my mind. By the time people reach this level, they understand ATS enough to GET Doubleback, whereas, if I introduced it in level one, it would be difficult. br/br/I was under the impression the only reason one needed to consider old school/new school was when dancing with others so you didnt throw them under the bus. I really dont get why people feel this need to self-label as being THIS or THAT.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net."I was under the impression the only reason one needed to consider old school/new school was when dancing with others so you didnt throw them under the bus. I really dont get why people feel this need to self-label as being THIS or THAT. "br/br/Yup.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Carrie on tribe.net.Val- I dont think anyone here is trying to label anyone anything. And also- its fascinating that your students are able to get the Doubleback as an intermediate move. My student base has a really hard time with that one, but gets others that I would think are more difficult.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Valizan on tribe.net.Ive given up trying to predict what is out and out difficult for them anymore! :Dbr/br/With one flight of students, none of them could get Turkish Shimmy (::valizan bangs his head against the mirror and says "Again!"::). The next flight got Turkish Shimmy no problem... Couldnt get themselves synched during Double Choo Choo. And then the arc arms. (::valizan wails and falls to the floor::)br/br/Given time, they get it eventually. Doubleback never seems to be a major issue.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Valizan on tribe.net.:)br/br/See, when I say Im "old school" I am thinking that way because I still have FCBD on video tapes! :))))

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

The forum ‘ATS® GS/TT’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.