Single Bump Pivot Turn & other bumping questions

This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I was asked today if one could jump right to Single Bump Pivot Turn from another move (other than single bump.)I hadn't stopped to think about that because I've always done it in a progression from Double Bump to Single Bump to SBPT. Is the progression necessary? Can one go direct to Single Bump as a move without Double first? Can one say, do an Arabic and then drop arms and go into SBPT?

Anonymous

Hello! I'm not sure I get the first question, with Single Bump Pivot Turn do you mean the gradual turn right? If that's the case, I'd say you can do it, provided you make the transition carefully. It's going to be a gradual turn, you can go around with it slowly if you want, so that here should be easily enough time for the other dancers to get where we are going. You would transition very clearly and with intention from the previous move into the Single Bump, do the counts 1-2 in place, and then slowly start to turn. I don't think the progression you mentioned is necessary. Single Bump and Double Bump look great together (not necessarly in the order of first Double then Single Bump) so we happen to place them after each other very often, but it's not mandatory. Single Bump is its own move, so I'd say yes, sure you can go to Single Bump without doing Double Bump first. And I think for a well tuned group of dancers it would be no problem going from Arabic to Single Bump Gradual Turn, as long as we do a very good transition and have good timing.

Anonymous

Rob, I wouldn't catch it.  I know many other people (like Erika) do Single Bump on it's own out of other moves, but in FC, I think I'm safe in saying, we've never done Single Bump without the Double Bump lead-in.  I, for sure, would not catch a Single Bump half-turn on it's own, either.  It IS true that the movements are independent.  It's just that the Single Bump arms have a tendency to look similar to Reach & Sit arms, so the DB buildup becomes very helpful for a smooth transition.

Anonymous

Sandi, thanks for clarifing! I would not do a Single Bump Half Turn by itself either, it would always build up from either a Single Bump in place, or Single Bump Gradual Turn.

Anonymous

Just wanted to add, Rob, that in your example if I was following you in an Arabic and you dropped your arms to horizontal, I would be expecting the Arabic 123 or Hip Twist.Sandi, I didn't know you did the double as a lead-in for the single.  Very good to know.  I almost always do it the other was around but am going to change.

Anonymous

Like I said in the FB Forum, myself and my troupe use Single Bump on its own. I was never taught that its advisable to go into Double Bump first, so I never knew any different.  It wasn't until LeighAnne (FC bred dancer) traveled to Alaska in 2009, I think, that she mentioned it to me after we had a little dance jam. I still choose to keep it as an option to be independent, but my troupe is aware that if they are dancing with anyone else, it would be kind of them to use double bump first. And they're good with that.

Anonymous

We don't however go into the half turns right away, but will do a gradual turn first.

Anonymous

When I started dancing ATS(R) I always did it the other way round: starting with Singles (usually coming from the Pivot Bump and dropping one arm), and then going into Doubles. ;D  It worked quite well, and it wasn't until much later that I learned about the way that FC are doing it.

Anonymous

Thanks, ladies and Sandi. That information put me to think and test these different sets and transitions. Obviously, a clear transition is everything here.

Anonymous

I agree with Sandi that I like to see the DB before the SB, otherwise I find it hard to catch the SB as well. With the SB half turns, sometimes we will do them without pivoting it first if there is something happening in the music that calls for it. But we'll do some stationary SB's to set up.

Anonymous

But on the flip side of that, we could do Double Bump alone, without Single Bump to follow.  It's such a big, powerful move.

Anonymous

Someone in my troupe just started doing the double and single as their own moves – I'd ALWAYS done the double then single, like coffee and milk.  But since it's not expressly forbidden, I can adapt.  I've always liked when folks break up the gawazee combo with an Arabic or whatever starting with a Gawazee quarters, then some Arabic, maybe other moves, then back to finish with the Gawazee half turns.

Anonymous

This very question just came in rehearsal last week.  I agree that I don't think I'd catch the single bump half turn on it's own.  However, we have an upcoming set that is more staged and there is a particular part in the music that we have planned ahead of time to hit it with a single bump half turn on it's own.  We'll see how that goes. haha. But we are anticipating it during a particular part in the music and I think that would be the only way I would know to catch it.

Anonymous

So interesting that I happened to be browsing in this thread today – just last week, a troupe member pulled out SB by itself, and I found myself 1) catching it with no problem, but 2) being a bit rattled that it didn't get its “intro” of the DB first.  But I did catch it.  Sandi, i agree that it's similar to Reach n Sit, but I find that the RnS tends to have a slight downward “press” element to it on the and-before-the-1, which distinguishes it juuuuuuuust enough from the SB, which tends to have a lifted and stationary, wide open arm.  With a troupe member who I know well, whose moves I can anticipate from the way her neck hairs quiver, I can be sure to catch it, but with someone I don't dance regularly with, do me a solid and pull out the DB before the SB.

Anonymous

Okay… let me take this a step further…Would you ever go DB to Single Bump Half Turn?Arm change, head turn and emphatic angle change on one from DB? Verboten or just a bad idea?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.