Slow 3/4 Shimmy

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I must admit, I've always been a bit unsure about how much time to spend on teaching this one before moving on to the faster version, because it's so rarely used that I had never seen it in action until someone pointed me towards this video clip:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HXSXOFZk4kYou can see it in action at about 12:10. 8)So now I wonder: in wich ways can it be used, besides its newer adaptions (like the Box Step)? In the video the dancer is moving forward with it. I guess moving backwards may be possible, too - I'd just like to be sure, because I don't want to inadverently mix Tribal formats (I do know that it is possible to move backwards with it in a different Tribal format). And I also suppose that trying to use it for turning in place would look rather awkward.  😉

Anonymous

I teach it in Level 3.  8 counts of 1/2 time shimmy forward flat footed arms at shoulder height, 8 cts. of regular shimmy step back with arms up.Just called the 1/2 time shimmy.  I haven't seen it done any other way (excluding the new box step move), but that's not to say there aren't variations. 

Anonymous

The 1/2 Time Shimmy can be traveled forward and back.  There is no set count, but it tends to move in 8s.  Now with the Box Step in the game, we try to distinguish the two by the angles of the body.  More angle = Box Step; more to the front = 1/2 Time Shimmy.  At least, that is what we're playing with at the moment.

Anonymous

Thank you!  🙂 We'll work with that in our next shimmy class. 8)Yes, last night, when I waited for my students to turn up,  😉 I wondered, too, about how to tell the regular Half Time Shimmy from the Box Step. But so far we're still working with Level 2 moves, so the problem hasn't been that acute for us yet.

Anonymous

Me again. 😉Another thought just struck me: Do you ever use the 1/2 Time Shimmy in Chorus? I've never seen it, at least not in ATS(R), that's why I wonder ...

Anonymous

Not really.  It just seems too clunky for the chorus, especially done stationary.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.