stealing the lead

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Originally posted by Joan Marie on tribe.net.Which moves slow and fast is it permissable to steal the lead. One of my students took the lead in an Arabic fade part of the Arabic shimmy with arms, turns and a fade. Based on the wording Carolena uses in the video, I would say yes, although awkward.br/br/Or are there guidelines one follows when stealing the lead?br/br/Thanks. Joan

Anonymous

Originally posted by Sandi on tribe.net.I wouldnt call it "stealing" the lead. Whenever the sight-line is altered so that theres a new person in front who cant see anyone else, they are now leading. Doesnt matter who was leading previously. The person faded forward is the new lead and can change the move and/or not fade back and/or decide to circle. There are many variations to this concept.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Joan Marie on tribe.net.Thanks Sandi, stealing the lead is one of my students descriptions. I understand perfectly what you described in your response. What are some of the other variations that you mention?

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.I had heard stealing the lead referred to as when the formation pivots, the person at the back will sometimes not pivot, causing the group to face in, if that makes sense. We used to do it at Amira if there was a problem with the way the formation set up, or if something wasnt right. At the point where the lead turned the group, the back person wouldnt turn, so the dancers would then be facing in, circle, and reset the formation.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.I dont know that any of us are thrilled with the terminology stealing.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Sandi on tribe.net.Thats a great one, Wendy, and for a good reason! Ive heard of people doing this as a habit, so wouldnt advise that as it disrupts the flow to be happening all the time.br/br/Another would be a temporary lead change in a diagonal. If the lead pivots or or does a half-turn, the back person can opt to throw in a move to the back and then bring it back to the front again. But, it has to make sense with the music, move, etc. Like, the Camel Walk is pretty dynamic to view from the back, so sometimes youll see us do one to the back before coming back to front. Keeps everyone on their toes!br/br/Its really all about communication. If the lead has been leading for way too long and/or the song is being split and the group needs to leave to allow time for the second group, sometimes the other dancers need to take control when they can. If the lead doesnt ever turn or pivot, then theres not much you can do.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.yeah, I would avoid doing it as a habit for the reason Sandi states, it interrupts the flow, so I would reserve it for the instances she mentions. br/"If the lead has been leading for way too long and/or the song is being split and the group needs to leave to allow time for the second group, sometimes the other dancers need to take control when they can. "

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘ATS®’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.