Sticky situation in need of kind and forthright communication!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello there!  I need advice!  I am excited to now be a Sister Studio and I teach ATS® strictly by Carolena's model.  No variations.  There are many ITS troupes in the surrounding area who "consider themselves" ATS® but who use a different language.  There is a beautiful, graceful dancer who wants to join the world wide flash mob of ATS® who says she needs to "brush up on her ATS® and join us."  She does not dance ATS®.  She dances ITS.  We have only a student troupe who would instantly be lost if trying to dance with her.  She also dances cabaret and has sort of a "strong personality."  How do I graciously tell her, "no."  She simply does not dance with our language! 😮

Anonymous

Hi Joan xxWhen I danced at flash mobs, it didn't really matter that people couldn't do the same style of dance.  We just had one lead with everyone grouped behind, following.  There were a mixture of levels so we stuck to basic moves so everyone could follow.  Flash mobbing is often quite casual, with a fun crowd joining in ........ yes sometimes you see it on YouTube where dancers have choreographed a perfect number and they pop out of the crowds to perform ......... but I'd say let her join in, maybe stand near the back and just follow along?  The more, the merrier!Hope it helps xx  🙂

Anonymous

She's welcome to attend class between now and then, maybe?Or allow her and others to participate, and offer an ATS practice session or two? Also, your mob, your rules. You could assign specific people to be leaders and say that in the interest of cohesion, everyone is to follow one of these specific dancers. Overall, the world isn't going to end, but I can see how it would take away some of the fun for your students if she started leading stuff they can't follow. I guess I'd try to use this as a segue into offering a class series or workshop for those who dance related styles but want to learn some classic ATS.

Anonymous

Thanks!  I appreciate the input!  I don't want to be exclusionary!

Anonymous

I let the other dancers in the community who do other styles join in on the chorus.  Most every dancer can do that even if they aren't ATS®.  I have even brought a bunch of costuming for the cabaret dancers before the flash mob and we help them get dressed in our costumes.  It can actually be a great opportunity for cross-genre communication and fellowship!

Anonymous

Last year I attended the flashmob in Brighton, and Charlotte very cleverly ran a short introductory class to the moves that she'd be using  beforehand. There were a bunch of people who hadn't done ATS before, but do a lot of flashmobs, so it really helped them to hear the music a bit and see what we'd be doing. Then 4 or 5 of us who were familiar with ATS took it in turns to lead through the flashmob itself.

Anonymous

;D  Thanks everyone for the honest input.  I realized I was being rigid and had my panties in a knot.  I did exactly what was advised.  Had rehearsals, invited everyone in the community and invited all styles of belly dancers to come and dance in their groups at the FM.  Thanks for helping and providing some much-needed insight!  I hope it goes well and that folks have a blast! 

Anonymous

Joan,You made me laugh.  You weren't being rigid, just conscientious!  I will look forward to seeing your flash mob video!  Terri

Anonymous

Joan lovey, I think it's cool that you were keeping your students' comfort and enjoyment levels foremost in your considerations. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘ATS®’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.