Studio Woes

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I try to be grateful and accept what goodness my life brings me.  I just have to get some feedback from those of you who might share similar studio woes.  I know I am not alone in having to rent studio space.  I took a 4 week break, in part to visit Italy, and in part because our class night was a holiday. The two studio owners handled my absence differently.  (What they have done in the past was to expect full payment, even though there were no classes, to hold my spot in the schedule.  I always pay on time, have been renting for years now, and am "small time" compared to their other tenants.This time, one owner said she would only charge me half; if dancers wanted to practice while I was gone, she suggested each contribute $5 and she would even deduct THAT amount from my reduced rent!  To my students' credit, there was some practicing while I was gone--gotta love them for it!  When I returned, she announced that she was moving the dance classes to another location and I could choose to go with her, or stay at the noisy, remote warehouse studio that occasionally houses overnight guests.The other studio owner said she would not charge me for June at all and I would still have my spot when I returned.  How gracious!  But wait . . . when I got back last week, she called to announce at the last minute that she changed the locks, decided to have the studio professionally cleaned, and closed the studio for a few weeks!  I had two new students lined up to begin, and a parade for which we needed practice.  Now she wants full rent for July, even though I am literally locked out for three weeks.  Her comments:  "I gave you June; I can't give away July too."  And, "Summer is always slow for the studio."I am not the only one who is at the mercy of studio owners/managers, I'm sure.  What do they expect from you, as far as rent is concerned, when you take a vacation or break?  Are you ever forced to cancel classes or change class time/days (or change studio locations) because of them, and if so, do they give you plenty of time to adjust?I AM grateful that I don't have the headaches of managing several tenants in a dance studio; I am grateful to have two places to do what I love:  teach and dance ATS.  I am disappointed that my dance practice is subject to the whims of distracted owners/managers.

Anonymous

Hey Leslie,I used rent a space that also functioned as a bar with rock concerts - at first it all seemed easy and cool,but it became a nightmare, the studio always being cold, dirty and sometimes we had electricity cut offs. I tried to talk the owner and thought we were on a friendly basis, but it didn't work. I felt helpless and always had to make excuses towards my students for being in this awful place. I finally left.I now rent studios in 3 different places, and all the owners are very different in their ways of handling and communicating things, with all of them I found a professional and friendly base. One of them is not very organised, so I am keeping an eye on my dates and contracts and I communicate very clearly towards the owner, if I need something. I have a summer brake in August and I have it marked down in our contract that I don't have to pay for that month, even if he didn't like it at all.Do you have a contract for each studio? If so, is it marked that the owners can act as they did towards you? The contract should asure both you and the owners for their rights and duties. If you have a summer break and don't pay for the studio rental during that time, you should mark it down in the contract as well.Even if it's ittitating, ut down every extra agreement concerning breaks from teaching so that you'll have something in your hand and don't feel like they can do with you what they want.I hope things will work out!

Anonymous

I've had some challenges with studios here in Las Vegas  – mostly because I've had 3 of them close business without much warning.  I have been with one studio for about 4 years.  I only pay for the time I use, so if I take a week or two off, it's fine.  I am the only one who rents from them on Sundays so they are very flexible.  The other studio is charges me a flat rate per month with a contract.  I've only been with them for 2 months but it's been fine so far.  I have had ALOT of problems finding studios here.  I've had a couple refuse to let me teach there because I was teaching *gasp* belly dance and their clientele (one was mainly children and the other was a ballroom studio) should not be subjected to seeing us.  One studio owner told me I could rent from him if we used the back door and were very quite so the other students in other classes didn't see us. sigh.  But once I found studios that allowed us there, we've done ok with the owners and managers.  I often dream of opening my own studio....

Anonymous

Thank you both for the feedback, Gudrun and Raven.  The contract idea is a good one–brilliant, in fact.  I like your last statement/fantasy, Raven, about owning a studio. Wouldn't that be great?  After all, one of my reasons for getting certified and directing a troupe was to have more input (and more peace) over the management aspects.  Yes, it has required a lot of attention and energy, but the rewards have been worth it all. 

Anonymous

Sigh..I feel you. Renting is more difficult than it needs to be, I think. When I was a renter, a studio owner raised my rent when she saw how popular/how many students I was getting. Owning a studio is a dream come true. It doesn't save you any money, but knowing that it will be there for your advertised class times is priceless.

Anonymous

I have been exceptionally lucky with both studios from whom I rented space.  I only pay for the time I use. Currently teaching at only one of them, and it has 3 studio spaces.  We use the smallest studio, which rarely gets used by anyone else.I also give plenty of notice to the owner when classes are cancelled for any reason, so she can book the space while I am gone, if possible.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.