The New Cue for the Egyptian Sevillana

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi!Recently FCBD® has come up with a new cue for the Egyptian Sevillana with the head turning to the left initially (like the cue for Triple egyptian, but to the opposite side). Should this be included (mandatory) when taught from now on? In that case, should it be used for each Sevillana or just when you start doing them? I feel the dance might end up with a lot of head twists all the time. Can this cue be optional or does that get too confusing? Personally I haven't felt the need to use this new cue at all. Thanks a lot!

Anonymous

I haven't experienced the Sevilliana lately, so don't know about the new cue either being required or not.  I will still be looking for a change, with or without a cue.  I agree with all the head turning though.  It's getting to be a bit much, imo.

Anonymous

Personally I haven't felt the need to use this new cue at all.

I haven't either - the slight step back on the left with the arms coming down I thought was a pretty clear cue.

Anonymous

I do see a lot of the FCBD dancers using the head turn cue for the E.S.  I find it confusing…. but now I know to look for it.  😉  I rarely cue it that way, though.As for whether it's required...  Not sure.  I'll ask Carolena.

Anonymous

I thought the head turn to the left was only if one is cueing the ES Shell Game?As per: http://youtu.be/k9Gd7A4r7EYMaybe I'm mistaken....I don't see a need for the head cue, but now I know to look for it!

Anonymous

I really like the cue, as this was the only move I always, always missed.  No matter how much we drilled this, when we came to dance it, I'd miss it again!  Strangely our group had come up with a head cue to the left eons ago, but dropped it as it wasn't official.  Glad it is now – I never miss one 🙂

Anonymous

I find that I miss it sometimes if it is coming out of a regular Egyptian and the music is very fast.  We've played with the cue but for now have decided to keep it a move to itself if we use it.  We don't use it very often. I imagine the more we use it the more we'll be able to see the change without a cue.  I would be interested to hear if the cue becomes mandated.

Anonymous

When I went over this step with Carolena before filming it for Egyptian Family Drill Companion DVD and asked if I should include the cue, she said yes.

Anonymous

I believe we decided using the cue was helpful regardless of if you were doing the shell game with it or not. It made it a little easier for people to catch when you were going into it as opposed to missing that first time where the hands just come done. (also Hey look! That's me in the pink skirt in the video Jesse posted!)

Anonymous

I haven't used the cue with my students, and the arm plunge to the left/presenting the R shoulder/step back with left foot on the 4 has been enough for them to catch it.  We worked on the step progression a LOT and slow drills at first.  I had heard about the shell game having the left look as a cue, and wanted to minimize confusion in the event we wanted to do the shell game in the future.  I do tell my students to be ready for slight variations if they have the opportunity to dance with other ATS® dancers, and will let them know the left look might be thrown out there in groups of mixed dancers as an ES cue since Carolena apparently has advised using it!

Anonymous

What Lulu said.  In my troupe, we look for the opening of the upper body angle as the left foot comes back and the torso pitches a bit forward while the arms come down.  We find that easier to catch than a head cue, especially since the head cue the other direction cues the triple.  I was taught it years ago as a duet-only move, so had to get used to dancing it in trio/quartet.  I get a tad frustrated when it comes out to fast music – I don't feel it looks as good as it does to medium tempo music, and it's really hard to catch.  It's funny - we used to be able to peek around to check out the audience or each other, but now we have to be careful because it could be a cue! 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Technique’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.