Torso Twist and Circle Step Turning in Thirds–What Are the Positions?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi.  When turning the TT or Circle Step in 3rds, are these equal thirds, starting at performance angle (so back, R front 45, return to performance angle for TT and the reverse for Circle Step)?  Or, are we supposed to be aiming for the two back corners and then back to performance angle?Thanks.

Anonymous

Hi! The torso twist 3 point turn starts at dance angle and then turns towards the left to the first back corner, so 1/4 turn, then another 1/4 turn to the other back quarter and ends with a 1/2 turn back to original dance angle. The circle step 3 point turn starts at dance angle and then 1/2 turns towards the right to face the back corner, then 1/4 turn to face the other back corner and finally one more 1/4 turn back to dance angle Since each of these turn a different direction, it's best to think of it as always stopping in the back two corners.Hope this makes sense 🙂Happy Shimmies

Hi.  When turning the TT or Circle Step in 3rds, are these equal thirds, starting at performance angle (so back, R front 45, return to performance angle for TT and the reverse for Circle Step)?  Or, are we supposed to be aiming for the two back corners and then back to performance angle?Thanks.

Anonymous

Thanks for the clear explanation!  🙂

Anonymous

Since I saw this post, I realized I have a related question. For both these moves, turn in 1/2 or turn in 1/3... what is the clearest way to cue whether you want to go all the way around or stop in the two back corners? Which position in the group determines this? My group had chose to only do torso twist in 1/2s and circle step in 1/3s, so because of this I need refreshed on how you can cue either or. It came up in a class I recently took. Thanks!

Anonymous

IMO, the leader can try to telegraph it, but the current 'head bird' at when the group is facing the 'sometimes' corner gets to make the decision.

Anonymous

Yes, it's the person who can't see anyone else after the turn starts, who decides whether it's a 3rd or half turn.  If you're moving to the left with a Torso Twist, you're looking to the person in the back row left to see where they're stopping…or continuing.  If continuing, the other back row person (if it's a quartet) will stop at the back right corner.  It's the reverse for Circle Step.  In trios, it's a little trickier, but peripheral vision is your savior.  🙂Remember, once you turn the group away from the front, you are no longer leading.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Technique’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.