Troupe Guidelines

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi there,I have a question for those of you that teach an direct a troupe.  I have a small troupe now and would love to do some sort of contract. I've encountered problems in the past of people seeing performing as something just to do on the side whereas to me this is a business and something I am incredibly serious about, so I want to write up a contract to lay out some ground rules.Can you guys tell me some of what is expected from your troupemates? Also, are they required to attend your classes in order to perform with you? If so, do you give them discounted lessons?Thanks in advance 🙂

Anonymous

The FatChance student troupe, BlueDiamonds, has a really good set of guidelines that I think Sandi has shared. She would be a good resource for this exact question.It includes coming to class as regularly as possible, but doesn't have a requirement for number of classes attended. It's also not a contract. It's a set of guidelines and expectations. I know that your dancers aren't as serious as you are, so I think the idea of signing a contract might be intimidating to them. It's a hobby to them. My concern is a contract will make it seem like a job and thus, less fun.I would say coming to class regularly, rehearsing together and having a good attitude is what's important. The ones who are more serious about it will show you through their attitude. The cream will float to the top, so to speak.Also, no discounted classes are offered to the student troupe at FCBD, but the ones who attend class the most (show commitment) get offered some perks sometimes.Hope that helps!

Anonymous

That helps a lot Jesse, I appreciate your reply!I agree, signing a contract would make it seem more work like. I wasn't planning on having them sign anything, just lay out some guidelines like you said.  I understand for many f them it's just a hobby but a certain level of dedication is required.  I'd be super interested in seeing the BlueDiamonds guidelines that Sandi shared before f anyone can link me to it and of course any other troupes who have any advice is greatly appreciated 🙂

Anonymous

If you're in the Sister/Brother Studio Facebook Group, it can be found under the “files” tab.

Anonymous

While not really a 'contract' my troupe members are expected to sign a commitment to abide and follow the Tribal Code. There's one that is beautifully formatted that we have prominently displayed at our studio, and I think most of us keep smaller versions at our home personal practice areas as a reminder.

Anonymous

Jessica, I will be happy to share what I use for my troupe. It is good to have a lot of things spelled out before someone joins a troupe, so they are aware of what is expected and what won't be ok behavior. My troupe did sign our guidelines/contract. Next time I see you I can give you a copy if you like, and I also have a copy of the Blue Diamonds guidelines somewhere, if you need it. I took some of my requirements from the Blue Diamonds one, also.

Anonymous

Here are the BDBD Guidelines.  They are a little outdated for our local circumstances now, but there is some really good info in there anyway.

Anonymous

Lindsay – I used Sandi's guidelines for Kalash Tribal but tweaked them to suit our needs. I feel that if people 'get it' then you don't really need to verbalise absolutely everything. People should respect the dance, respect their teachers and respect each other but sometimes may need a few pointers or guidelines to help them on their way rather than rules or contracts. Happy to share our guidelines 😀

Anonymous

thank you Sandi for sharing your BDBD guidelines. I was thinking about something and not achieving it since one year, now it feel good to have a guideline from some experienced person like you!

Anonymous

Joyful Squid Tribal Dance only has a student troupe thus far, (Jeune Calamar) but I have set out some guidelines for them. They have to be a solid Level IIB (Into the second six weeks) and show dedication, a level of commitment to learning the dance and I have them test out of level I.  (They need to know by name and demonstrate all the level I moves).  They need to keep attending classes. (If they have missed more than two six week sessions, they need to refresh by taking I and II regardless of the level they were when they left, as I have found, if I don't do that, they miss clarifications and their skill level drops. (I actually encourage that anyway for all dancers but I require it if a prolonged absence has occurred).  I have a separate studio behavior expectations for classes which are handed out with the syllabus, the registration form and disclaimer/liabilty waiver, (no discrimination, being on time, being positive and supportive of one another and not to speak negatively of any other troupes in town, etc,) so they are already aware of the environment of positive intention and behavior I expect.  We have no contract as all of us (including me) have careers outside of dance and I don't want to take the “oasis” feel out of the studio by make a lot of “musts” and “have to's” at this time.  I wish you the best as your troupe grows and evolves!  😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Performing’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.