Troupe Members Choosing Performances

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Some of my troupe members want to handpick the performances they do based on the “esteem” or pay rate of the venue/show.  While I feel that all the performances we commit to are worthwhile, I am a little taken back when I was told that certain venues/shows were “not worthy” of their time to perform by certain individuals.  Have any of you had this situation and how did you handle it?  Do your troupe members pick and choose based on the venue – for example they want to dance at Tribal Fest because they think that's a big deal but not at the local hafla. 

Anonymous

Hmmm, something of that kind happened in my troupe last year, but on a smaller scale, I guess.Our local drum circle hat invited us to join them in cheering on the athletes in a local long distance running event. They would drum by the road side and we would dance to their rhythms.One of my troupe members didn't want to go, saying she felt uncomfortable with dancing for people who hadn't really come to watch us dance. So we did it without her, and we had a lot of fun. The running athletes who passed us by turned out to be a really grateful audience, we could see it in their faces and their many "thumbs up" gestures. And dancing for longer periods of time to live drumming was quite a challenge, but the connection felt really good. Afterwards we were all exhausted, but very happy. 🙂The following week the rest of the troupe told that one troupe member that she really had missed out on something very, very special. I had the impression that their enthusiasm got her thinking, so maybe she'll join us on this year's event. 😉

Anonymous

I don't know if I'll be helpful here, as I don't think we've ever had to deal with this (maybe other members have?), but in FC, it's fine if a dancer doesn't want to do a gig.  We don't necessarily need to know why and we don't always have to do gigs all together.  Sometimes we just say, “I'll pass.”  If it is an important event to Carolena, we do our best to be there, regardless.  I think it's great that you have the luxury of having so many gigs to weed through.  But I would never say that a gig is beneath us (not the right fit, yes) as we all have started somewhere - doing gigs that didn't pay (not just for charity), were in questionable locations/conditions, etc. - and some of those proved to be the most fruitful or fun gigs (sometimes "fun" is the main reason for doing a gig!).  You just don't know who will be watching or where your next gig will come from.  If we like the gig request, but there's not enough of the Troupe to do it, we'll pass it on to the student troupe, just so we can have representation.  But there has to be someone there with experience.It's one thing to have standards, it's another to look down on those who are trying to provide opportunity.  The great thing about ATS is that it is so adaptable to any environment.  From house parties to clubs to big stage, it works and we have taken on many challenges with creative solutions.  It is the every(wo)man's dance form that reaches beyond status.  You can reach so many more people by saying "yes" rather than "no".  Or, as it goes, you can attract more flies with honey than vinegar.

Anonymous

I second Sandi's comment. I'll also add that I'm seeing that "cultural differences" can take effect in dynamics like this. I know that there is one kind of person in San Francisco, another personality in Alabama and yet another in Alaska. Meaning that the reasons that people dance vary from on local to another. In SF, you dance because it's fun. Period. You never make a significant amount of money. You look at gigs from the perspective of how "not difficult" it will be, rather than whether it's worth the money. So, I agree that we don't need to know why you don't want to dance, but you do have to show up more than you turn down, if that makes sense.

Anonymous

Thanks, ladies.  That all makes sense.  My thoughts are always that we should dance for fun.  Here in Vegas there are not alot of paid opportunities so that is looked at as *special* when we get the paid gig.  Most of the times our performances lead to more students and more interest in our art form.  That had always been fine with the troupe as whole.  I was seriously taken back when a member said that she felt a particular venue was beneath her and didn't quite know how to appropriately to respond.  It seemed to lack the humility of it all.  I am planning on chatting about this more, particularly with them member and your comments helped me put it into a more refined conversation rather than the “WTH?” I was thinking initially. 😉  And I'm all for if some dancers can't or don't want to do particular performances.  I've just never heard that rationale before.  I was baffled.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.