TSWAT with fade?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Because ASWAT with fade works wonderfully, some of my most stubborn students are fighting with TSWAT to make it work into a fade. What do you think? Is it possible? what would you change to make it work? I tried the fade during the turn, but somehow doesn't feel exactly right.

Anonymous

Since there is no turn in the standard TSWAT (only during circling), it doesn't make much sense to try and fade it.  It's too uncontrollable to fade during turns, as you can't really see your path moving backwards.  I think it's fine to have one thing have a fade and the other not.  Otherwise, they look too much the same.

Anonymous

I think it would feel like trying to fade an Egyptian half turn. It seems like things that work in fades are:- moves with your orientation to the front throughout, even if they include turns (ASWAAT, Egyptian basic, Arabic basic, and almost everything else we fade with)- moves that include orientation to the back but take 8 counts to get there, so there's enough time that the group is fully faded when the back-oriented section happens (Turkish quarter turn, Dragonfly)- moves with orientation side-to-side, like the Arabic hip twist and the Turkish half turnWith the ASWAAT, the basic (hah) step has your orientation facing front (performance angle) throughout. You turn, but you never pause and face the back corner. The TSWAAT includes a pause oriented to the back, but you'd have to get there in four counts and be facing the front again in four counts. It seems like the group would be about half faded, so almost in a straight line, when the back-facing Turkish shimmy happened. Messy.The angle of the TSWAAT is also such that it would be hard to start stepping back to fade on the 1. Turkish shimmy fades that are more flattened out to the side work, but this one isn't flattened out.I think Sandi's 'No, and not everything has to fade' type response is perfect. I just also like to work out the mechanics of why you can do such and such with one move but not another.

Anonymous

Thank you very much! This really helps me and my girls understand the nature of fades better! 🙂

Anonymous

I hope this doesn't get me into trouble but we once accidentally faded the Egyptian 1/2 turn and the audience loved it, so we now use that occasionally.  Dynamism on two planes of movement-- the individual turns and the overall spatial rearrangement of dancers! But I agree that TSWAT with fade is awkward, and that full (as opposed to 1/2) turns during fades are an invitation for trouble.

Anonymous

So how did that work? Did you fade when you were facing the back?

Anonymous

reply to Alicia (if the question was for me, regarding Egyptian 1/2 turn fade):We continued to obey the rules of the road with these things happening at once:1. front line moved back and back line moved forward2. all dancers 1/2 turned to the back on 5-6-7-83. we re-faded continuing to do the 1/2 turns until there was a clearly new move led.I hope that answers your question.Yes, it involves traveling (a little) while turning (1/2) so I don't consider it as wild and messy as traveling during full spins.

Anonymous

reply to Alicia (if the question was for me, regarding Egyptian 1/2 turn fade):We continued to obey the rules of the road with these things happening at once:1. front line moved back and back line moved forward2. all dancers 1/2 turned to the back on 5-6-7-83. we re-faded continuing to do the 1/2 turns until there was a clearly new move led.I hope that answers your question.Yes, it involves traveling (a little) while turning (1/2) so I don't consider it as wild and messy as traveling during full spins.

Thanks! Still getting my head around it. So if I am leading, I cue the half turn and step back at the same time, or have you already done one to set up then step back on the 1234?

Anonymous

I'd like to say that you can't fade a TSWAAT or Egyptian Turn for the reasons already stated, but things like this keep coming up. I've been giving it a lot thought; moves that ATS® dancers are doing in their own pods but not standard rep.Look for an updated Fireside Chat when we are done with Devotion after 14 June.I think we've come up with a viable category for what you are doing. I'll describe in more detail later in the month.

Anonymous

To Alicia,Well, first of all I want to say, with respect to Carolena's answer, that we should realize that this was an error that happened to work out pretty nicely, not something sanctioned or recommended.Having said that, if you want to know how we did it, we did one cycle of basic half-turns and then on the second one, the leader stepped back on 1234 and the entire group turned to the back on 5678 while following the normal pathway for fading. To echo what Diana S. said, the movement is basically flattened out in each section, not spiraling, so it seems somewhat analogous to the Turkish 1/4 fade or the Alabama Twister as far as movement with clear facings while fading.

Anonymous

Carolena, I've been eagerly awaiting your promised discussion of non-repertoire, non-FCBD moves. I haven't seen it here or on your blog or the Fireside Chat. Have I overlooked it? If not, consider this a well-meant nag.  🙂

Anonymous

Katie, your Egyptian fade mistake/variation sounds groovy. I'm sure it was fun and I'd like to see it.Nancy, the next installation of the FireSide Chat is in the works. Thanks for the nag!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘ATS® GS/TT’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.