Turkish Shimmy 1/4 Turn Question – on what count do you turn?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Originally posted by Maria Dancer on tribe.net.Hello everyone ~ I have a question about the Turkish Shimmy ¼ turn. I learned it one way and when I was at GS in August I thought I was doing it the same, but I was recently told I turn on the wrong count. My count is (facing the left side wall): ct 1 (forward R step), ct 2 (in place L step), ct 3 (start to turn to face back wall with R back) & ct 4 (adjust to face back wall with step L). The other way is: ct 1 (forward R step), ct 2 (in place L step), ct 3 (step R back) & ct 4 (turn to face back wall with adjusting L step). Hard to describe, but basically I turn with count 3 so that each quarter turn almost looks more gradual, whereas the other person turns on count 4 so that each quarter turn appears sharper. Clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Maria

Anonymous

Originally posted by Carrie on tribe.net.You are doing it correctly.br/All Turkish Shimmy variations as well as Arabic Hip Twist turn on the 3. 😉

Anonymous

Originally posted by Pacifica Funkster on tribe.net.Megha does indeed teach this with the turn on the 4, which felt awkward and inconsistent to my troupe. So we turn on the 3, following the logic of all the other turns...

Anonymous

Originally posted by Sarah H on tribe.net.from what i was taught, all fast moves that turn, turn on the 3 =-) easy way to remember things!

Anonymous

Originally posted by Sandi on tribe.net.I got some clarification on this since I dont use it often and was unsure what parts were turning when.br/br/So, in following the rule of "4-ct turns, turn on 3", the feet do turn between 3 & 4 (landing on 4), which is what youre doing, Maria. Just be sure that the arms are starting on the 1. So, as you face the left side wall, your arms are moving upper right on the 1 & 2 and moving to neutral on 3 & 4. As you turn to the back wall, your arms go to horizontal on 1. Repeat for right side wall and front. Hope that makes sense.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Maria Dancer on tribe.net.Thank you everyone for the responses! I really appreciate it! Thank you Sandi for double checking. It made sense how you described it, thank you!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘ATS®’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.