Turkish Shimmy Cross Over

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I guess this is for Megha-Last Saturday you taught a Specialty Class at the Fat Chance Studio, where we covered several new moves from Vol. 9.  We did the Turkish Shimmy Cross Over, and you pointed out that the arms go to the Left so that it frees one from hitting one's partner when raising your arms in an arc and switching places.  Would it be considered the cue to put the arms to the left?

Anonymous

Jennifer, what I have from my notes in that workshop is: - Megha/Devyani developed their Turkish crossover without knowing that FCBD had also developed one - the two moves evolved in separate places at about the same time, without knowledge of each other. Therefore, our idea of "how do we know if we are doing the FCBD crossover or the Devyani crossover" didn't actually apply to either troupe as they were dancing their own - they thought they were doing the only crossover. - There is no separate cue for the Devyani one vs the FCBD one - Megha said they would go into theirs if dancing with a partner who knew it and the music called for it, they were already facing in, etc. - However, as we walked through the move/drilled it, the arms to the L on 5 combined with the body angle change could work for a cue if a troupe was using both versions of the pass (FCBD and Devyani) in their vocabulary. It isn't an official cue, but it does differentiate the two versions of the combo.

Anonymous

I'm not aware that we (FCBD) have our own version.  We just use improv.  If we want to pass the TS, we use eye contact to indicate whether we are passing front-to-front or back-to-back.  If we want to take it into a TSWAT as we're circling, one of us will raise our arms and indicate this, taking note of the phrasing of the music.

Anonymous

HI Jenn!! I miss you!! 😉We do the same as Sandi said too.  We didn't realize there was an official version being created until volume 9 came out.

Anonymous

Sandi, by “FCBD version” I meant just that – improv. 😉Miss you too, Carrie!

Anonymous

Megha and I discussed this when we realized that we both had the same combo. We decided that for the FCBD® version we break eye contact in order to just pass back-to-back; for the Devyani version we keep eye contact *as* we start to pass back-to-back.

Anonymous

We decided that for the FCBD® version we break eye contact in order to just pass back-to-back; for the Devyani version we keep eye contact *as* we start to pass back-to-back.

That's nifty! Thanks for sharing, Carolena!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘ATS® GS/TT’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.