Turkish Shimmy Crossover vs Turkish Shimmy Duet Pass

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

On the DVD, Megha says that Devyani have decided that the only time they do Turkish Shimmy facing one another in a duet is when they are cuing the Crossover.  So, I'm guessing this means they probably don't use the duet pass.We would like to use both, but we are finding it difficult to figure out which one is being cued. We are wondering if other troupes use both and, if so, how do you clearly differentiate the cues?Thanks!

Anonymous

We use both.Turkish Shimmy duet passing back to back - when facing our partner, on counts 1 & 2 stepping towards each other its normal Turkish Shimmy facing, on counts 3 & 4 stepping back from your partner we look over our partners right shoulder (in the direction we will be going), and on the next counts of 1, 2, 3 & 4 we pass by each other back to back.  We can repeat this exactly again or if we keep our gaze over our partners right shoulder (without looking at each other) then we continue to pass back to back without first stepping 1 & 2 into each other.Turkish Shimmy duet passing front to front - same as above but this time we look directly at our partner and it's the angle of the body on count 1 that indicates we're stepping past each other.Turkish Shimmy Combo - when facing our partner, on counts 1 & 2 it's normal Turkish Shimmy facing, on counts 3 & 4 we angle our body to the left more so our right shoulders angled towards each other and still looking at each other - we then go straight into the combo by passing each other back/back, arms over etc etc.Not sure if that makes sense .....  🙂Was teaching my students this a few weeks ago, and they got it straight away

Anonymous

Thanks so much! 🙂Okay, so if I'm understanding you correctly, you cue the duet pass by stepping towards your partner, with the direction of the gaze indicating whether you are passing front-to-front or back to back.You cue the Crossover Combo by angling sideways (somewhat like cuing a 1/2 turn in stagger formation, except your head would be turned right to remain looking at your partner?).1. Forward duet pass - remain in eye contact with partner and torso faces parter.2. Back-to-back duet pass-Break eye contact and look over partner's right shoulder.3. Crossover combo-remain in eye contact with partner while torso angles to the left of your "box."N'est ce pas?

Anonymous

Yes that's right – Turkish Shimmy facing a partner, when stepping towards them, the direction of my gaze indicates back to back or front to front passing.And yes that's right for the Crossover too ...... when stepping back on counts 3 & 4 I angle to the left of my box, head facing right to look at partner.Isn't it hard trying to write exactly what you mean lol.  😀Mais oui 😀

Anonymous

🙂

Anonymous

Exactly so- it's all about the eye contact!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Technique’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.