Uniformity in posture

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Originally posted by Vicky on tribe.net.I was showing some FatChance and other ATS troupe videos to my fiance the other day. He commented that none of the groups I showed him had consistency in posture throughout the troupe, mainly angles of arm carraige. He tried explaining that from his perspective as an audience member, the inconsistencies were distracting, and that he was surprised the more famous troupes also had inconsistent arm carraige. He asked me why ATS groups dont make a point of focusing on this aspect of performing, and I honestly didnt have an answer him. Does anyone have any insight as to why arm angles arent stressed in rehearsals? I know theres a lot of material in the ATS format to teach and polish, but why dont posture and arm carraige factor in?br/br/Thanks for any light you can shed on this subject! Id sure appreciate it! 🙂

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.I know in classes at FCBD we do work on arm posture, and trying to match up. Could it be that what he is seeing is differences in individual anatomy that make the arm postures look different? Do you have any video examples for reference?

Anonymous

Originally posted by Vicky on tribe.net.We were watching the DVD of the hafla we just had in St. Louis on Friday, which I cant upload due to copyright infringement. I think he was mostly noticing differences in moves with the arms overhead, where dancers would have their hands held further apart or closer together, or they would have different angles to the bends in their elbows. Im thinking its more just anatomical differences than anything else, but I was having a hard time getting him to understand that.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.In many dance troupes, all of the dancers have a similar physical build, which gives uniformity. ATS is one style that allows for different body types dancing together, so there will be some variation in body type, but all dancers should strive to maintain the same arm posture throughout. But what he is probably seeing is the difference in body types.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Sandi on tribe.net.Also, ATS is not meant to be militaristic in style. We are allowed to bring our natural movement into it to some extent. It is supposed to look comfortable on each of us so not every detail will be exactly the same on each person.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Vicky on tribe.net.Thanks ladies! I feel like I can relax a little now! 🙂

Anonymous

Originally posted by Akire on tribe.net.I think it has to do with differences in the range of motion & flexibility in individual dancers. I tend to notice that in moves with elements of arms up overhead (especially Arabic), that my arms are held a little wider and have a bit more of a bend at the elbow than the other girls I dance with. Weve talked about it, and thats just how my arms are comfortably held up in order to keep the shoulders back and down. I just dont have the same rotation in my shoulders as others, and often makes me feel like our "lines" dont always match up. br/

Anonymous

Originally posted by Maia on tribe.net.Im the same way. But Id rather have the shoulders down with wider arms than weather my shoulders as earrings.br/If anyone has suggestions for correcting that I would so love to hear it!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘ATS®’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.