Using the Name without Certs or the Circled R?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

There is a HUGE studio relatively local to me, a big name in the scene down here, that now has an instructor teaching “ATS”.  Having seen what she does, I cannot begin to explain how NOT ATS® it is. She took what amounts to about 6 months of Classes with a GS grad that I took my first 2 years of dance with. In her own solo dancing, she's a lovely dancer, not a bad person from what I understand (I've met her briefly in the past) but most of her training is in Oriental/Cabaret and she has not gone through GS or TT. Having then had some of her students pop into our studio for an ATS class and be baffled at what we taught, I found out that she was teaching “ATS” down in Miami.  How do I approach this without 1. being a meanie and raining on her parade 2. not starting a flame war in an already hostile towards tribal area (Miami)? How do I explain to people that see both of our studios label Classes ATS® but what she's got going over there is not FCBD®....? I don't want to steal her students or anything, I don't teach in her immediate area, I don't care to make money off this dance. But I have a FCBD Certified friend who IS trying to get into teaching in Miami and if the dance is being misrepresented in that area, it won't help HER at all in trying to build a base of students when the biggest, most profitable studio in Miami has "ATS" that just is NOT ATS®. I know all we can do for ourselves is show how beautiful and powerful our dance, the REAL ATS® is and people WILL be drawn to it no matter what, but how do we get to do that is the best established name in Miami's bellydance scene is offering "ATS"I just want people to know that what that studio teaching isn't American Tribal Style® as created by Carolena and FCBD®.  Is that studio even allowed to use the term American Tribal Style to describe what they do if it's NOT ATS®???Sorry for the silly, long rant, If it is inappropriate for this forum I will certainly take it down.

Anonymous

Ah, the frustration of it all! If we had branded ATS® 25 years ago this wouldn't be a problem. But, the dance was evolving and I didn't want to stop it's progress, and this sort of confusion is rampant, despite all of our efforts.Why don't you send me her url and let me have a look at contact her personally. You can reply here, or send me a message via the Forum.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Adhara, I don't see the reference to ATS®, can you hone this down for me?

Anonymous

Anonymous

Under her Classes drop down menu “how it works”"Open On-going Specialty and Fitness ClassesMondays 5:30 – 6:15 PM HipNotica Fitness™ with Luisa (Open to All Levels)Tuesdays 6:30 – 7:15 PM HipNotica Fitness™ with Luisa (Open to All Levels)Tuesdays 7:30 – 8:30 PM Bollywood with Narayani Maharaj (Open to All Levels)Wednesdays 5:30 – 6:15 PM HipNotica Fitness™ with Portia (Open to All Levels)Thursdays 12:15 – 1:00 PM HipNotica Fitness™ with Luisa (Open to All Levels)Fridays 7:15 – 8:00 PM HipNotica Fitness™ with Caitlin Ray (Open to ALL Levels)Fridays 8:00 – 9:00 PM American Tribal Style (ATS) Belly Dance with Caitlin Ray(Open to Beginner 2 and Up)"

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.