wearing Zils during slow songs…

This topic contains 23 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Originally posted by rhiannyn on tribe.net.we tend to wear our zils all the time... 1. because we are trying to make them be a natural extension of our fingers, and not a foreign object 😉 and 2. because i thought i hear somewhere that in ATS we wear them all the time. therefore, we have been wearing them while dancing a slow song, as we did during the hafla at which we recently performed. the long time folkloric/cab style teacher/performer who hosted the hafla, and for whom i have a great deal of respect and admiration, suggested we not wear them if we are dancing a slow number, since we wouldnt be playing them.br/that got me thinking that maybe what i thought i heard about "wearing zils all the time" was actually me misinterpreting what id heard.br/br/so, do we in ATS wear our zils all the time, even if we are only dancing a slow number?br/br/thanks for clarification on this :)br/xo

Anonymous

Originally posted by Margaret on tribe.net.The women I dance with tend to wear our zils all the time when were performing a set that has both fast and slow music. I suppose if only slow music was being played, we could skip the zils. I dont know what the official practice is though.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Sandi on tribe.net.We always wear our zils. Only once, that I know of, we didnt, during a choreographed piece.

Anonymous

Originally posted by rhiannyn on tribe.net.thanks Sandi, thats what i thought the policy was.... now, how do i go about graciously explaining that to the not ATS crowd without getting their dander up. ive already explained this to another well known local folkloric/cab style dancer after a previous hafla we attended back in Feb. She was content with my answer, but not sure if the recent one will be 🙁 ...... she knows her belly dance stuff, and i dont want to offend her, or create a critical atmosphere.... but i also want to be true to our ATS style..

Anonymous

Originally posted by Wendy on tribe.net.Why does it even matter to someone who doesnt dance ATS? Am I missing something here? Just tell them because thats the way we do it in ATS. br/She may know her belly dance stuff, but it doesnt sound like she knows ATS if shes suggesting you take the time to take your zills off between fast and slow numbers. I find it really awkward when people do that during a set.

Anonymous

Originally posted by Vicky on tribe.net.The only time our troupe *doesnt* wear zills during a performance is when we are only dancing to slow music (no fast music in the set at all), or when were dancing to music that just doesnt fit well with zills. One of the biggest examples of that last bit is when were dancing with a drum circle called Raw Earth. Their music is live and improvisational. It works great with the improv of ATS, but we never know what the drum rhythms will be, and they typically just dont sound right with zils. But if were performing a set that has even one song in it that we can zil to, we wear our zils for the whole set. I dont see anything wrong with wearing them even if youre not going to be playing them at all in your performance set, though. Do what you like! 🙂

Anonymous

Originally posted by rhiannyn on tribe.net.yep Wendy, that was what i said to the previous dancer who queried me on it....and that in ATS we come prepared, cuz you never know, so we always wear our zils!br/br/that said.... the two performances in question were just slow, we did not dance a fast song, so we were not going to be playing them. i think she gets us wearing them if we are doing a set that includes fast and slow..... just not if we are only dancing a slow number, and technically have no *need* for them.br/personally, i like having them on all the time for the reason stated above, and also, i love the esthetic look, its like it completes the ATS costume. we have so much attire and accoutrements on us when we perform, that i thought they just blended in.... she said they are distracting, and people are "waiting to hear you play them, and then you dont so its like a let down." br/*le sigh* i just wish people would mtob, i dont go around asking "hey, why do you lot wear your skirts slit up to the top of your thigh, so it appears that youre crotch is attempting a peek-a-boo dance... its distracting, i keep worrying im going to catch a glimpse of your nether regions, and id really rather not, thanks anyway." br/br/weve got another hafla in a couple of weeks.... maybe theyll be in the Green Room, and not watching 😉

Anonymous

Originally posted by Erika on tribe.net.We always wear zills in our troupe, even if we are sure we wont play them. I think of them as part of the ATS uniform. br/Even when worn but not used, they remind us of certain aspects of our ATS dancers identity: we are Zillers. Its a very strong characteristic of our style. We are required to try and master a musical instrument. Often, this is a real challenge, and sometimes takes a very long time to become proficient at it. But what to most seems almost impossible at first, in time, with practice and dedication slowly becomes second nature. And how heart-warming it is, when we finally realize that zilling became second nature, and we actually long to play them, and would feel naked while dancing without them. I find it symbolical of the whole path of becoming an ATS dancer, and in general, a lesson of wisdom: in order to master something great, lots of effort and constant dedication are required...but then such a gorgeous reward when we finally get it, and are free to play and have fun with it! Or, "no pain no gain" :Dbr/br/The zills add a lot, I think, to the joy that our style generates in the public. I think humans are instintually drawn to the sound of percussions. During fast music, we contribute to make our own music as we create our dance! We can rely on our own sound, when happens that for some reason the music is barely audible. And if we are dancing to a musical improvisation, we can use the zilling to communicate with the musician: let them know what pace we want, and that we need regular 4/4 rhythms, or we can "flutter" the zills to let them know we are finishing the dance and the song needs to be concluded. In a way, we are not only improvising with each other to create dance on the moment, but we are also improvising along with the musicians to help create music. Since we zill, every time we are dancing fast we are bringing some live music in the equation of our performance. br/br/And even if worn but not played as in slow music dance, the zills on our hands gets the public attention: they make them wonder either what those pretty brassy thingies might be, when will we start to play them or how will they sound. Thats why we wear them even in a choreography or in a all-slow set: its part of the mystery! br/br/So, if you would feel more comfortable to have a rationalized version of this to reply to the people that ask you why we dance with zills even when we dont play them, you can always say they are part of our costume, or that they are symbolic of our style, or that its part of the mystery ;). And, once in a while, a fast song will start to play when a slow one was supposed to be...and you better have your zills on when it happens!

Anonymous

Originally posted by rhiannyn on tribe.net.thank you everyone.. this has helped immensely!!br/Erika, you read my mind and my heart on this matter! :)br/even though i am by far a master ziller, id say a toddler at it, my aim is to at least be an adult at it before i die. 😉 it has been a struggle, because i learned to dance, before i was presented with zils, when i switched to ATS. Sandi has been advising me on strategies to conquer them, etc. br/so all this advice, and all your thoughts and musing on the subject have been very enlightening... now i know why i have these feelings about it, its an intrinsic part of who we are in our style. :)br/br/thank you all..br/xobr/rhi

Anonymous

Originally posted by Tonje on tribe.net.Hey Rhi, I know that (or she) of which you speak. br/br/I might say something like "cause it helps us have prettier hands". It does. We tend not to wear zills if we are only dancing to slow, but it really does help with hand/finger awareness, and if you choose to, do it with no apologies 🙂

Anonymous

Originally posted by rhiannyn on tribe.net.lol, yes, i knew you know to whom i was referring, Tonje.... br/i agree on the hand/finger awareness, having the zils on my fingers stops me from flapping, i am far more conscious of what my hands are doing with that little extra weight [on top of all the rings ;)]br/i seriously believe it completes the look of our costumes, and in no way detracts from it. but you know.... they will always have their opinion on our style anyway. 😉

Anonymous

Originally posted by Sandi on tribe.net.I agree with what Tonje says. Do what you need to without excuses or apologies. If youd rather wear zils, wear them. Its your performance.br/br/With that said, I cant imagine doing a set without fast music, but if we did, I think wed probably not wear our zils. It just seems more efficient that way and doesnt mislead the audience to think something else is supposed to happen. But, who knows, maybe it will leave them wanting more! :}

Anonymous

Originally posted by rhiannyn on tribe.net.Sandi... its because at these little local haflas we are given 5 minutes, most often 1 slot, sometimes two.... so this upcoming hafla, for instance, almost everyone is doing two time slots.... therefore weve decided to do a slow in the first one, and a fast in the second, made more sense than trying to edit together 2 songs into 5 minutes for one set, and then have to do that again for the next 5 minute slot. or, is that what we should be doing, editing together a slow and fast?? which means part of each song goes missing 🙁

Anonymous

Originally posted by Alicia on tribe.net.You could look for pieces of music that change tempo, so they have both fast and slow in the same one?

Anonymous

Originally posted by Sandi on tribe.net.Yeah, while its not "wrong" to do a short slow set, I would automatically think of doing both sets with slow to fast songs. There are plenty of them out there. Not all 5 min long, but with an exit song, it evens out. Derwood Green is a great set in itself! Although, its 6 min long.br/br/Amel (Helm - Itneen) - 4:00br/Bambi Saidi (Latcho Drom) - 4:40br/Bay City Shimmy (Phil Thornton - Nexus Tribal) - 4:16br/Country Dance - Drone section (Sirocco) - 4:36br/Country Dance - Nay section (Sirocco) - 4:04br/Dukhan (Helm - Fil Waha) - 4:20br/Jammin In London (Master Musicians of Jajouka) - 4:10 br/Luxor Baladna (Afra Baladna Said) - 4:48br/Magreb (Helm - Muse Melodic) - 4:12br/Nihavent Oyun Havasi (Helm - Spice Box) - 5:03br/Raqs Rhodope (Helm/Phil Thornton - Tribal Spirit) - 5:04br/Shimmabulous (Issam Houshan - Dancing Drum Vol II) - 4:05br/Ya Dorah Shami (Latcho Drom) - 4:09br/br/Or I just wouldnt do any slow. Or be sure that that fast set is the second set, rather than the first. The goal is to leave them wanting more and the fast material is what gets people excited.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘ATS®’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.