What keeps you ATS-ing??!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Soooo, I have a question that I'd love to hear your feedback on!I'm an ATS dancer, ATS is the only style I dance. I admire and adore lots of other styles of dance, but no style draws me to want to learn it like ATS does, I feel with other styles I can just watch and admire happy in the knowledge that this style is not for me to learn!In my community there is an abundance of tribal fusion dancers in particular. This weekend Infusion Emporium took place in Wolverhampton and also here in Dublin there are workshops being held with Sharon Kihara, I was SO happy to see  my Dublin based fusion friends mingling with my GS & TT peeps 😀So, now to my question, for those of you that dance ATS and fusion, what keeps you coming back to ATS? And what made you initially want to venture into fusion?I don't participate in any of the fusion workshops held near me as I have no interest in dancing fusion, I feel my limited dance fund is better spent on PowHow classes, Skype lessons with FCBD etc.  A fusion dancer recently said to me "you only do ATS but at least you're good at it" :/ I wasn't too sure what to think about that! I feel that I'm seen as "boring" for only focusing on ATS. Has anyone else ever experienced this?I'd like to point out I'm a lone ATS dancer in my city, I have a small group of fairly dedicated students but no other ATS dancers of my level.I suppose this really isn't a question....more of a rambling!! Hopefully some of you will have some input 🙂

Anonymous

I began my dance career studying all types of belly dance, Indian dance, and fusion.  I really value that training for a number of reasons.First, I feel incredibly well-rounded.  I also have a liberal arts degree for the same reason.  I think it enhances my ability to understand how ATS® fits within the broader community and to be a better member of the broader dance community.  I also understand which elements come from which dance roots and exactly what those roots mean.  Second, I am able to teach to a wide variety of dancers using their language.  I recently taught an ATS® workshop to cabaret and fusion dancers along with the ATS® dancers.  I was able to explain concepts using language that they understood from their dance traditions.  They appreciated that I knew and respected their dance backgrounds and could integrate knowledge of those traditions into my lesson.  They said that it made ATS® much more accessible to them.Finally, I think that there is so much to learn from all types of teachers.  I recently took a weekend workshop series from the Hammer sisters (fusion).  I realized that there were elements that I used to integrate into teaching my fusion classes that would really enhance my ATS® classes.Obviously, limited time, resources and access can all prevent you from learning from other types of dance.  I wish I could do a workshop entitled, "Important stuff I learned from Egyptian, Turkish, Lebanese, Fusion, Flamenco, and Indian dance for ATS®"  Then I could capture all of that history and how it influenced me in 2 hours for easy consumption!I know a lot of people disagree and feel that you should only do ATS® and even that you are a better ATS® dancer if you have only studied ATS®.  It is an interesting conversation!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Performing’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.