What to do: Incorrect Instruction of Movements

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

What would you recommend doing if while attending a class the instructor teaches incorrect footwork and timing of a movement? Do you follow along? Do you offer information after class (never in class) or do you just do it the correct way anyway? What would be the respectful course of action? This happened to a SS friend of mine in a recent class she took with a non-trained ATS/ITS teacher who is teaching from videos and I didn't know what to say other than don't correct the teacher in class. I'm curious now too. Thanks!

Anonymous

In class I would follow the teachers' instructions. Her class, her version of Tribal. I might try and talk to her later, to find out if she had intended to change the moves, if she just didn't know any better, and if she cared at all.Actually, that sort of thing has happened to me a couple of years ago. Sadly that other teacher had advertised her version of Tribal as "following FCBD format" when it clearly didn't. As it turned out she didn't care much about the differences, as her own main focus was Fusion, and to her it didn't really matter all that much of which kind the Tribal basics were.

Anonymous

I agree to follow the teacher during class, and then see if she is open to your observations after class.I think you could say, "I've never seen that variation of the step, where did you learn it? I learned it this way in General Skills with Carolena." Then just step away from it.

Anonymous

Thanks everyone! Good thoughts!

Anonymous

This is a variation of the original question. 🙂I've attended ATS workshops where the participants range from extreme new to advanced.  The instructor passes along some very wonderful advanced tips she's learned at workshops with FCBD member instructors.  I've tried to incorporate her tips into my own dancing but am wondering...  When teaching new students, should I stick to the movements as taught in GS, etc., or include the advanced tips which can't be learned anywhere else but in a specialized workshop?Thanks much,Zina

Anonymous

Well, I guess that would depend on just how new those students are, and how advanced those tips.If it concerns the basic movements you are teaching to very new students, and it would be helpful for them (like how to match arms and hips or something like that), then I think I would include it. If it concerns rather advanced variations (maybe like Partner Passes or something like that), then I'd keep it in store for later.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.