Where has the passion gone ?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Have you ever gone through stages where you completely or partially lost interest in ATS ? I discovered ATS bellydance 9 years ago and I've been a very avid learner and dancer until 1 or 2 years ago. These days, I'm still happy to dance with friends and to attend a few workshops, but I've lost the passion driving me in the beginning of my "dance journey" (when I could spend hours looking for videos and informations on Internet, travel to another country to attend a dance festival or a retreat, etc.). It's stressing me out because ATS was such a big part of my life for almost 10 years ! I'm feeling sad, and a little frightened that I won't be able to re-light the fire I had once. Not to mention my feeling to be a dead weight for my troupe mates, as I have now little interest in performing, and have difficulty to bring positive energy in rehearsals...In dire need of some comfort and advice !  🙂

Anonymous

Hi Marie! Well, I think that we all have these lows in our personal interests, they come and go, according to different stages in our lives. You may be feeling a little disconnected from yourself, and your loss of drive for ATS® is just a manifestation of that. I don't know you and can not pretend to know what will make you feel better, but I can tell you what works for me: take a little break, enjoy the summer with your family and friends, and then, have a workshop or class with one of those magical people that can bring out the best in us (be it Carolena or someone else), to try and recall what made you love this dance form in the first place. I haven't had this problem with ATS® yet, don't know if I ever will, but I did have it with other styles of dance, and with other things in my life. This helped. Hope it works for you 🙂 <3

Anonymous

I agree with Sofia.  It can happen, and taking a break, relaxing, doing something else may help?  I haven’t ever lost the passion but it does wane from time to time – sometimes flat students or if the troupe seem to be stuck in a rut have made me flat.  Taking a workshop with a FCBD member or Carolena and meeting other dancers from across the globe certainly sends sparks through me as I relearn moves in a new light and I get all fired up again.Have you tried the PowHow classes?K x

Anonymous

I'm in a similar position. Class is still fun but I am not interested in performing at the moment and I can't get to the L3 classes any more so I'm just doing intermediate. But I have started to take some flamenco classes to try to explore some of the roots of ATS and get a better understanding of the nuances of the flamenco-inspired moves.

Anonymous

Thanks for sharing your personal experience with me ladies, it helps a lot ! I'm planning to take a break and try other dances and hobbies next year. I would love to take classes with FCBD teachers, but I live very far from San Francisco (in France). I've registered for an ATS retreat with a very good teacher in November, I'm looking forward to it ! This means the passion has not totally gone, I find this reassuring.  😀Sofia, you're right, I'm feeling a little disconnected from myself at the moment, so maybe I project in dance the frustration I'm feeling in other parts of my life.Kay, I haven't tried the PowHow classes, but I've got all the FCBD DVD. Maybe I will give it a try !Thanks again ladies !  🙂 <3

Anonymous

Ooh … also, it's worth keeping an eye on the FCBD Workshops page as many teachers often come to Europe (Carolena has just been – was a great ATS retreat)!  We also have Kae coming to the UK in October (if you're interested)  😉Good idea to try a break and discover other dances and hobbies - and yes, PowHow classes are good - always so much more to learn.  You'll enjoy the retreat in November.  I hope you find your dancing feet again xxTake careKay xx

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘ATS®’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.