Where’s the Tribal Spirit gone?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

You think this is a provocative question? It's moves me already for some time.I have learned ATS because I like the group improvisation and dancing together no matter where you're from.But for some time I have the feeling that something is changing.I see more and more choreographed sets and solos. And again I think this is not the majority idea of ATS, it's an option but not main thought.There are dancers denigrating others and saying mean and nasty things. That takes the joy in dancing. The same happened to me this year.They told me I was a bad dancer and no longer wanted to dance with me. Thats hurts so much.Some dancers seem more focused on perfectionism and selfishness with no regard to losses.No more simply improvised set, it must be counted and planned in detail and then everything looks just totally cramped.I think that's sad and a shame.I want back to the roots, back to dancing together instead of against each other!I'm working on getting my ATS passion back.

Anonymous

First of all. I would dance with you anywhere anytime , because I am the biggest looser in choreographys , so it had to be improveBut yes I agree to your opinion. Don't be upset or hurt. It is not worth the energy you invest. The right people with the right attitudes will show up and you will gain  your  joy and pleasure back.

Anonymous

I think there are maybe a couple of different issues in your post. There's obviously some very hurtful things that have happened in your troupe, which I don't know anything about so can't comment on. But your observation that there are more choreographed sets and solos is something I have noticed too. There are lots of potential reasons for that! Some people fear improvisation and take comfort in a choreography. Some people are dancing in a strangely shaped space or doing a very long set where a bit more planning to entries and transitions make the performance look more polished (and if they are in a show featuring a lot of tribal, it might be necessary to distinguish your set from the one before). Some people don't have anyone else to dance with and have to do solos if they want to dance at all. It is a shame that they aren't experiencing the pure joy of improvised ATS, but I don't think the message that is being passed down from the Mothership has changed at all. I hope you can recapture your joy in dancing, and find other likeminded dancers.

Anonymous

I feel so sorry to read, that you had to experience such a disapointing and hurtful confrontation. ..... I am shocked by the attitude of dancers, that say, that "you do not dance good enough." This is not the spirit I witnessed in Tribal Community so far. So I can understand, why you have chosen that Topic.Try not to let that get you down. I saw you dancing and you are a wonderful dancer.You will find compassionate friends, that worship your companion.

Anonymous

Naina – I'm sorry you've experienced such hurtful things.Regarding improv and choreography, I recently wrote something up about when and how you might use choreo to good effect.  Bottom line:  even though our art form is entirely based on improv (and trains us in improv), FCBD has always done some element of choreography in certain circumstances, and there are very good reasons why.  Personally, I do feel that too much choreography takes something away from the organic feel and shared energy of a performance, but a little choreo sprinkled in here and there can be beneficial.Have a read, and please let me know your thoughts:  http://americantribaljanet.com/2014/09/29/improv-vs-choreography/

Anonymous

Aww, Naina, I would dance with you anytime! It's a pity we didn't get the opportunity in October on the festival in Hamburg … maybe next year?  😉I've come across that rather snobbish attitude you described in the past, though only as a subtle undertone, never in the open. My reaction was to think "Huh? Their problem, not mine" and I shrugged it off and carried on dancing with the people I loved. So, it's not necessarily a new thing. Perhaps it's just part of human nature.  :-On the other hand, we kinda started a new project in our local community this year: the "Northern Tribal Collective". It has its roots in two collective performances of three ATS troupes together last year, and we loved those experiences so much that Susanne (Sister Studio in Hamburg) got the idea we could all dance together at the "Hexenbad" ("Witch Bath") at the MPS (Mittelalterlich Phantasie Spectaculum - kinda Renaissance Faire like event that moves around in Germany), where she and her dance partner had performed as a duet in previous years. Again it was an awesome experience, and the project quickly got opened up to just any dancer capable of some ATS who just happened to be on site and in the right mood. Each time we would just discuss some basic staging 5 minutes before the actual performance, and off we went. ;D The number of dancers would vary from 3 to 11. Sometimes things went smoothly, sometimes we would mess up a bit, but each time we had fun. 😉Hopefully we will be able to do it again next year. 8)As far as I know, some troupes in Lower Saxony meet in a similar style on events in their area, so perhaps you might want to check them out?  🙂 Or if you happen to be around, when the Nothern Tribal Collective is jamming, just join us, you're welcome. 😀

Anonymous

Oh, Naina, very sad to hear that !  This would be ashamed!  But I know that  :o. Here in lower saxony we have an similiar problem. Thats why we closed up with other tribes from western Germany to dance with on events, perhaps you come up to us too? Sometimes we choreograph too, but only little structures. Thats because we dance sometimes with another tribe on stage and have no time to dance the songs together before.But thats not a complete choreo, only a structure...And I would like to dance with you every time! Youre a good dancer ! Don`t worry about what others say ! Sometimes every one has a bad day and mistakes happen any time...

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘ATS®’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.