Working on angles

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I dance with a big ATS collective and the thing we are constantly struggling with is angles.  Intellectually, everyone knows performance angle, but we all came out of some funky group improv instruction early in our dance learning where we were taught a flat front.  Years later, we are all still fighting that muscle memory!  As you can imagine, this constant tendency to flatten out causes all sorts of problems by disrupting sight lines and formations and can make transitions sloppy.  Can anyone recommend any exercises we can do to correct these issues?

Anonymous

I always recommend that the followers adopt the angle that they want the leader to use, and that leaders always turn in the group in place so that everyone can observe and adjust.

Anonymous

I've put tape on the floor or yoga mats to create a little personal box to then find your angle while training . then over time get rid of the tape/mats and ALWAYS do a check in move (turn in place with some movement) to check where everyone is.  it just takes practice to break a bad habit and replace it with a good one. Also, we ALWAYS drill in formations and perfomance angle from day 1 to really cement it in. so Just practice, Practice, practice!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.