YouTube Practice Drills?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Are they still going to be made? 🙂If so, do you take requests?and if so:1. this is technically not a drill, but I was telling the ladies this evening about how overwhelmingly emotional it is to watch Carolena *free zil* to a song like Fallahi,    and also, how incredibly inspiring it is... making you want to work at mastering the art.  I would love to have a YouTube video of that epicness (made up word :P) to go to  and watch whenever I'm having a *Gump* zil moment.  It was unanimous, they are all eager to witness the marvelousness (yes, I made up this word, also) of it. 2. Another useful drill for those of us working on perfecting our zil abilities would be the drill Kristine taught in a class I attended at the FC studio. It was to Efrooh Bwadina    and had Triplets, Military, Baladi, and an alternating run.  She yelled out the rhythms right before we switched, and eventually I was able to follow her. However, on my      own at home, or in the studio, I have never been able to do it properly.  It would be helpful to have it as a drill 🙂Thank you for considering these requests 🙂xo

Anonymous

Hi! Your ideas got me thinking – stay tuned.  🙂In the meantime, I forwarded this to Carolena, who said: "Let her know that I do a rif on the V3 Zils yin yang DVD." So go check out that new-ish DVD if you don't have it already - I own it and it's fantastic!

Anonymous

Thanks for passing it along to Carolena, Janet!!I will stay tuned for your *thinking results* 😉!!! and yes, I have that DVD, I have never opened it, because I live in a condo, and was worried it would bother my neighbours.However, maybe I could watch it on my computer, with headphones, and put mufflers on my zils!!!

Anonymous

Hiya, I watched through the DVD and 'finger' zilled along with 🙂 (don't want to make my neighbours mad)The only thing I saw was when they were filming Carolena over her shoulder while she went through all the patterns,and they displayed the pattern in the bottom left corner. While that was awesome, for drilling purposes and practice!! The otherbit is watching Carolena's whole body aura, the look on her face etc when she is simply 'free' zilling to a song, as she did at GS in August. It is positively mesmerizing.... she goes into some kind of rapturous zone, and THAT is magic to watch 🙂  Someone needs to video this at an Intensive, or GS, or something... something... I, and some of my peeps, would totally be into buying that kind of clip on iTunes, or from the FCBD d/load section... seriously. We would. 🙂 :-*

Anonymous

I recently riffed along to a local eastern drum group, it was at a local, very relaxed hafla. We were all costumed up with our zills on ready to perform as we were after the drum group. I know all of them in the group and their Lebanese teacher who is an amazing tabla player, they were having a warm up in the last few minutes of the interval, two of my students started to dance to the drumming so I carried on zilling and using the three patterns, the teacher loved it! he thought it sounded great so I joined them where they were sitting, another gentleman came up to me and asked where we danced in Swindon so I told him all about ATS. Since that hafla I have had many local eastern dancers contacting me thinking about taking on ATS. I encourage the use of the three main patterns in chorus work and am planning a zills workshop to really get to grips with the Moroccan six which I really love but can be very tricky for those who don't have much of a sense of rhythm, and have taken ages to master just the triplets, but as Carolena says in her yin yang dvd, repetition is the answer.

Anonymous

🙂  Zilling was my nemesis! So thanks for sharing that story, Patsy 🙂It was so much my nemesis, I had the *heart* design from the Signature zils tattooed on my neck. (zilling WAS a pain in the neck, lol)I could zil. Or. I could dance. Trying to do both was like dancing with two left feet, and/or zilling with two left hands 😉 It's coming along,and we are incorporating zil practice in our 'dance only' night, where we don't teach moves, we just dance, and take breaks to practice zilling the different rhythms..and then dancing and using moves where we have to switch from one to the other, etc.I want that video of Carolena in zil rapture 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Sister Studio Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Did you have an account with our old store catalogue?  Click here to sign up for account with our new and improved store.